- 1 pounds dried pinto beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 chipotle, chopped, from a small can
- 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce from same can
Place beans in large saucepan with cold water, bay leaf, and sage.
Heat oil in large skillet; add onion, salt, bell pepper, and cumin. Saute until tender. Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes more.
Add water, beans, chipotle pepper and chipotle sauce. Simmer slowly for about 4 hours, making sure beans are always covered with water. When beans are soft but not mushy, they're done!