- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup kosher salt *
- 4 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons ground rosemary
Optional. Add up to 2 tablespoons crushed dried chipotle, cayenne, chili powder, or other hot pepper. Be careful with this ingredient. Not everybody likes it as hot as you do! You can leave it out if you are serving to a large crowd that is bound to contain a few wimps, and serve pepper flakes on the side.
Substitution. Try substituting some smoked paprika for regular paprika. Beware, it is usually a bit hot.