- 1 cup distilled vinegar (do not use cider vinegar)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1) Whisk together all the ingredients and let them sit for at least three hours to allow the flavors to meld. Overnight is better. A week is best. Mop it on the meat with a basting brush once every hour while cooking. A good silicon brush is best. It holds lots of fluid and is easy to clean. A lot of places still use mini string mops, but I think these are to hard to clean and potential cources of food poisoning.
2) Before serving, take the remaining mop and boil it to sterilize it. With a clean brush, to prevent contamination by a brush used on uncooked meat, mop the meat one last time. Serve the sauce in a cruet on the side so your guests can drizzle on more if they wish.